Ambleside, possibly the waterhead hotel, circa 1942
Unframed (ref: 5073)
Oil on canvas
Provenance: The Artists Daughter; thence by descent
After the bombing of London during the Second World War, in 1940, it was decided that the Royal College should be moved from London to Ambleside in The Lake District. Thus the main Schools of Painting, Sculpture, Design and Engraving were allowed to continue through the War with P.H.Jowett as Principal. The School of Paintings was taught by Gilbert Spencer, Percy Horton and Charles Mahoney.
Women were accommodated at The Salutation Hotel and men at The Queen’s Hotel. The men came across from the Queen’s Hotel and joined the women at the Salutation at mealtimes. At the beginning there were more women than men amongst the 150 students but by 1944 a considerable number of men invalided out of the forces had started to return to full-time study.